www.simplicitybychristy.com

Sunday, April 24, 2011

locks..

The weather has been amazing here. I really can't say enough about how beautiful it has been..sunny and 85 degrees. On Saturday after there naps I took the boys outside to play for a little while. Jason was at the library studying for a final exam and the girls were the neighbor's house. The boys were playing on the deck and riding their bikes. I had just taken in the spare house key and my cell phone and gone back out to check on them. Will asked if they could stay out for five additional minutes before dinner and I agreed and sat down for a minute. Jason came home and wasn't even completely in the chair when Drew started in the house.

I said..I don't have my key.
Jason..me either.
Drew..closes the door as Jason gets up.
Me..he's locking us out
Jason..Yes, he did.

So for the next 30 minutes on the Saturday before Easter we tried to talk our 21 month old into unlocking the door. It didn't work. At first he remained calm and smiled and didn't think anything about the fact that he was inside and we were all outside. And then he realized that we weren't coming in and he couldn't come out. And the crying started. And then the screaming. And he started shaking the door handled and twisting himself in the blind. And beating on the glass like a prison inmate you see on TV. I'm not kidding either And there I sat on the other side of the glass, rubbing it and trying to calm him down. Seriously, the only thing missing was a telephone and orange jumpsuit.
Our neighbors tried to call a locksmith. No one answered on the Saturday before Easter. We called the FireDepartment and they could jimmy the door open. Jason called the Police Department who showed up and was willing to kick the door in. And then our neighbor came over with a trick he learned on CSI and he got into the house..thank the Lord. Our door frame is still in tact and I didn't have to keep eyes on the baby so my door could be kicked in..
It was a stressful 30 minutes. I've always expected one of my kids to do this but I have to say, I always thought it would be Will..

No comments: