www.simplicitybychristy.com

Monday, January 31, 2011

rosebud

Rosebud drove home to our house for the first time when I was about six. (Of course this was long before the time she would come to be known as Rosebud but that's neither here nor there at this point.) Rosebud was a lovely, sparkly shade of blue and she was brand new. She smelled lovely. She was a two door hatch-back and was super cool to my six year old self. The town we lived in hosted an air show every summer. My Dad loves airplanes and flying and we went every year. The first week that Rosebud lived with us, the weather was probably somewhere in the 90s. We were of course going to the airshow and I had decided to occupy myself with some take along "art". I did not share my dad's love of airplanes at all and knew I would be bored in 3 minutes flat. I climbed into sweaty leather backseat, we rode there and sat in the car drawing as the rest of my family watched the planes performed. When it was time to get out, I guess I didn't clean up my supplies very well because when we returned my crayons were melted to the back of my Dad's brand new car. A lovely, rainbow colored puddle. I am a parent now and I am sure that my Dad was furious but he didn't yell at me that day, he just shook his head and said look what you did to your car.
I am here to tell you that 10 years later when I learned to drive, she was still around and Rosebud was formally named. Her crayon puddle was still clearly visible in the backseat. I drove my dad around and sometimes rode with him. Putting my feet on his dashboard or up on his seat, writing on his clean windows. He would always say, "Wait until you get your car. Wait until I ride with you." And I would just laugh because my car would surely be clean.
That was before the days of Milkshake,Chicken Nugget,Sucker Stick and Save the Trees paper decided to ride along with me.


Poppy obviously has my kids on his payroll and I'm desperate to get them removed.

No comments: