www.simplicitybychristy.com

Monday, April 13, 2009

a typical day

When we found out we were having a little boy everyone told me how much easier he would be. Ha. I can't decide if they were flat out lying to me so I didn't hide in fear or drinking something I can't seem to get my hands on. Will was the best baby. So pleasant and laid back. He never cried and would entertain himself with his toys for an hour. I was a nanny in college and have been around little boys for awhile. I expected ornery and prepared myself for messes. I can honestly say I have never seen anything like this. That boy is a one man wrecking crew leaving destruction wherever he has been.

Today while I was cleaning up breakfast Will Harry Houdini'd his way into our "junk drawer" and came out with quite a prize. Permanent markers and highlighters. I confiscated the markers and made a mental not to reorganize the drawer. I knew I needed to see what was in there and move it out of his reach. While I was doing this task Will was quietly playing with his toys. All of a sudden I feel this wet goop fly across my foot. I look up and see Will directly below me holding a used coffee filter flinging wet coffee grinds all over the kitchen. Sweet. It's only 8AM. It took me a good thirty minutes to get the mess cleaned up. I decided to vacuum since I already had it out from the coffee. Will always chases after me while I vacuum so it is usually a safe activity. Today however he decided to empty the clothes hamper in the vacuum path. Of course I swept up a sock and it got stuck.

Before lunch time he decided to go fishing in the toilet, a favorite activity. Will can get through child-proofing like no child I have ever seen. It had been a rather tiring day and I decided to do breakfast for dinner. Easy and fast enough. I'm flipping pancakes and turn around to see Will, with the bottom drawer open using it as a step. In the three steps it takes me to get to him the eggs are already flying off the counter to the floor. Another day, another mess. So much for boys being easier!

No comments: