www.simplicitybychristy.com

Monday, August 17, 2009

up and running...

Last week was a disaster to put it lightly. The children were all restless and trying to adjust to being at home. It was in the upper 90s all week and they weren't very interested in doing anything outside. And to make matters even worse our washing machine was broken for the third straight week. If there is one appliance I can't live without, it is the washing machine. With four children, one of whom is only a month old, I do laundry almost every day. Doesn't that sound like a lot of fun? For our machine to be broken one week is awful but three weeks is a complete disaster.

The first repairman arrived the week before we went to Ohio and he had to order over a thousand dollars in parts rather than just replace the washing machine. The parts were on back-order and finally arrived in enormous boxes. The repairmen came back to fix the washing machine the day after we got home. I showed them all the parts that had arrived and the original work order. For two hours they worked and had the machine completely apart before the realized they were missing one of the drums needed to fix the machine. After trying to locate it, they ordered another one and had it overnighted. (another $1000) They agreed to put the machine back together so I could try to do some laundry while I waited for the part to arrive. Again. We had to run a few errands and I threw in a load of towels on my way out the door. I arrived home to find the machine frozen mid-cycle and water all over my laundry room floor. Now I have wet towels in and out of the machine! I called the company back and they agreed finally to just replace the washing machine. (It was still under warranty) They told me I would receive a telephone call within 24 hours letting me know the dollar amount I could put towards a replacement. Five days and countless hours on the phone with customer service later I finally get an authorization. The customer service representative told me if I made it to the store by 3PM they would deliver the machine the next day, Saturday. I wake all the kids up and hurry to the store. I was desperate. I could not keep taking loads of laundry to the neighbors house. The girls start school, dance, gymnastics and soccer this week. I needed my washing machine!

I arrive at the store at 2:50PM. There is one person, who looks like he's maybe 12, working in appliances and he is talking on the phone. I patiently wait with the kids. Another woman walks up while he is talking on the phone and when he hangs up he goes to help her "look" at dishwashers. Are you kidding me! The woman tells 12 year old boy she is only looking and isn't interested in buying anything today. She had time to waste and thought she would just look. Still he explains every single feature on every single model. I am rapidly reaching my boiling point. I went searching for another person to help us. Twelve year old boy is irritated upon my return because I was not willing to wait and listen to his awesome dishwasher pitch. I finally explain the situation and he says he will have to order the model and it will take another week to arrive and can't be installed until after August 25th. No freaking way. I should point out that we are now approaching one hour in the appliance department, the kids are getting restless and it is well past the 3PM delivery cut-off. I am almost begging for a new machine at this point. I am desperate. Twelve year old boy does not have any kids and does not understand my dilemma at all. He could probably care less if he had to wear the exact same shirt every single day. He might be old enough to be in college and laundry isn't exactly the top priority of college students.

My patience officially exhausted, 12 year old boy revelling in his authority to deny me a washing machine even though I was promised one, I finally ask for the manager. Keep in mind I was once the manager. One of my biggest pet peeves was being screamed at by customers just because they thought it would get them what they wanted. Because of my past experiences I try to be extra understanding and extra polite to those in the retail field. When the manager finally arrives I explain my situation for what seems like the 100th time. He has children, he understands, he is willing to help me. Finally someone that understands. The manager bent over backwards to help me, upgraded my machine to one they had in stock and pulled out all the stops to get my machine delivered Saturday morning. I could have kissed him I was so happy! Finally I see light at the end of the laundry baskets.

and because pictures make every post more interesting, here are a few of Will taken last week.


No comments: