www.simplicitybychristy.com

Friday, May 6, 2011

the week after

- 5000 people came together at a little community center to help the people. This community center was a central point for the entire community and operated completely by a generator. A generator, I was told, that was funded and installed just four days before disaster struck.. That's how amazing God is.

- We were without power for 5 days but not for lack of trying from the TVA and the line operators. I talked to a few of the men and they said their shifts start at 6AM and go until 3AM. They are then back working at 6AM. They've been working these hours since the 28th..

- I worked the community center and helped to sort through and entire gymnasium full of clothing donations. It warmed my heart to see the generosity in those gymansiums.

- Helping people "shop" through these items to find themselves some new clothes to take home, when they have lost everything is the hardest shopping I have ever done.

- I have always had the utmost respect and admiration for the Red Cross and was thrilled and humbled to work with them this week. I will never forget my trips with Bill and Greg from Fort Collins and Tom and Phill from Pittsburg.

- Hearing a woman tell me that her brother was in that house and then pointing to nothing but a slab of concrete.

- Seeing another woman walk for 20 minutes amongst the disaster pile that was left of her belongings still looking for anything she could take with her.

- The young man that said he heard God through this tornado tell him to be still and appreciate life and what he has a little bit more. And he's going to listen.

- The tents pitched on slabs of concrete because the families have no where left to actually live.

- The family living in a house with no roof because that is all that they have and they can't even afford to tarp it.

- The family that lost every single thing they own. And the mother walked up to our truck from a dirt driveway and still said, "God has truely blessed me and we have everything we need" If she can say that some of us really need to evaluate what we choose to complain about in life.

- The compassion, selflessness and generosity of the Red Cross members. They treat these people like they are their best friends and have known them their entire life.

- The Yellow Hats as Amelia calls them who have been at our church for over a week now. Preparing food and organizing the disaster relief.

- The tireless effort of our ministers and my church family. I've seen them out in the rain, some of them shaking from the cold. Sawing and chopping and picking things up.

I hope that if disaster ever strikes your community you are lucky enough to live in a community like mine. In the beginning I couldn't forget the horrible sound of the sirens and the images of the storm. Now I'll never forget the blessings and the people helping each other. I'll never forget the faith and strength of the people affected the most..

No comments: