www.simplicitybychristy.com

Saturday, November 20, 2010

a rainbow for the birthday girl

I am not a crafty person. I also do not enjoy baking. Add those two things together and you have a miniature disaster. Bella is having a painting party for her sixth birthday and she has chosen to paint rainbows. A friend of mine (who used to bake all my birthday cakes) found these beautiful, lovely rainbow cupcakes on a food blog she follows. She thought they would be perfect for the party and she was right. What she overestimated was my baking skills. And patience. Still it was less than half the price of ordering a cake and they were super cute and absolutely perfect. So I thought I'd give it a try. How hard can it be? Says the novice, non-crafty baker.
I started the process on Thursday around 1pm and didn't finish my second batch of cupcakes until 5:30. I only made 22. I had to dye 6 different bags with gel food coloring and kneed it together. I was out of purple food coloring and instructed by the professional baker to mix red and blue together. Mine turned black. I was completely out of batter at this point and had to go back to the store for another cake mix. Restart for purple..ugh. The first batch I made ended up a little big and the food coloring made them really, really moist.




My friend came over on Friday night and helped me make the handmade chocolate rainbows to go on the top of the cupcakes. She also added the cloud frosting.
Bella thought they were the most beautiful cupcakes she had ever seen. Her friends loved digging into the multicolored rainbow cake. Amelia has already placed her order for her birthday.




No comments: