www.simplicitybychristy.com

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

pizza field trip

Bella took a field trip with her class to a local pizza place the week that we moved. It was one of a few days we had actual flakes on the ground and we actually had school. I had an early morning text from a good friend asking me 1) if we really had school 2) were we really attempting the pizza trip in the snow? We lived a good twenty minutes away from school then and wasn't so sure about the roads. I know some my northern friends are rolling their eyes as they read this because half an inch of snow doesn't exactly equal a great road hazard. The garage was full of boxes and I slipped on the ice as I'm loading the kids into the van. Super. I told Bella we would attempt to go to school but I didn't know how bad the roads were. I wasn't going to risk our lives driving through snow and sand to make the pizza. The tears start flowing. I'm driving down the road at a slow, acceptable rate of speed. It's sleeting, snowing and this is the south after all. If they had been salting the roads for six months I probably wouldn't be worried in the slightest but my hands are sweating and people are honking at me because I'm driving to slow. All of a sudden, I can feel the van lose traction and the dashboard completely lights up and the TCS lights were flashing and beeping and we're sliding all over the place. Thankfully I got control and we made it to school safely. The snow melted by the time we returned.

Bella loved learning about the pizza business. They learned how to take a customer's order, how to locate a customers house on a map and how to make the pizzas. At the end of the trip they got to fold their own boxes (pure excitement for five year olds) and make their own pizzas. Bella is fairly particular about her pizza. She will only eat pizza from certain restaurants and usually only eats cheese. Every once in a while she will splurge for mushrooms. On her field trip she surprised me by loading her pizza with chicken and ham. What?! Who is this girl? She took it back to the school for lunch and told me it was absolutely delicious. I guarantee if I order a pizza for dinner with ham and chicken, I will have a major issue on my hands.


No comments: