www.simplicitybychristy.com

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

all for chicken nuggets

Amelia has been more vocal lately. As she has become more and more comfortable with her surroundings and the people around her, she is freely expressing her opinions and asking questions. Her teachers usually meet me at school every afternoon with something funny she has said or done. Jason and I are usually the "butt of the joke" and I must admit, I usually find them more embarrassing than funny. I have tried to talk with her about what is appropriate information to share versus keep to yourself. I've tried explaining that sometimes we need to talk about things quietly in our own house and not in public. She is only three and doesn't always understand.
This afternoon, I took the kids through the drive through of McDonalds for some happy meals. I should set the backdrop of my humiliation up for you by letting you know that 1)I went to the worlds slowest McDonalds 2)It was 70+ degrees here and I had rolled all the windows down 3)I had locked the windows down to keep sticky fingers from continuously annoying me and the other gray bus riders by rolling them up/down/up/down. I order, pay and go to the window to collect my food. There is a person there handing me drinks. My fries aren't ready and neither are my nuggets. The waiting begins. Amelia would like to know if the person handing out the food is a boy or a girl. I have no idea. It is in no way shape or form an obvious answer. The person is clearly within earshot, standing there staring at me waiting for my answer. I don't want to be offensive and say "I don't know". I definitely don't want to guess wrong. I try to ignore Amelia. She repeats the question louder. And louder. I'm frantically trying to roll up the car windows, totally forgetting that they are locked, as Amelia is now yelling "Is it a girl or a boy?". I'm sweating profusely and I'm sure my face is tomato red. The person is glaring at me now and I turn around and quietly say (probably more like hiss), "I'm not really sure. Please be quiet." WRONG answer to give a three year old. I can practically see the wheels turning in her head. She raises her arms like she always does when she doesn't understand the question and she says "what do you mean you don't know? you either have a vagina or a pee pee. so is she a boy or a girl" I wanted to die right there. I apologized profusely to the person, gave them my best Chandler Bing wedding photo smile and tried to lighten the mood by asking them not to spit in my food.

And people wonder why I need a vacation!?

No comments: