www.simplicitybychristy.com

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

Veteran's Day was not a holiday I paid much attention to growing up. We didn't get out of school for Veteran's Day and it wasn't a fun holiday like Halloween, Christmas, 4th of July or Thanksgiving. I understood it was a day to honor our Veteran's but it wasn't something we really "celebrated". The only veteran's I knew then were my grandfathers or men close to my grandfathers' age. Veterans were certainly not people I know, people that are our friends. Certainly not my brother. Definitely not my husband.

Today the word Veteran has taken on an entirely different meaning to me. Maybe because I have realized the sacrifice and selflessness it takes to be a Veteran. You put others before yourself every single day. You do what you are told without having the ability to ask questions or provide your own opinion. You leave even when you may not want to, for months at a time. Missing births, first words, first steps. Missing everything to protect our country, to defend its freedom.

The following is an excerpt from Gator Tales a monthly newsletter we receive from one of Jason's best friends in Iraq. The words are powerful and to me define a true veteran.

The value of life is never under estimated at moments like this. We know that there is no such thing as a refund, redo, or reset in our lives. Each of us is confronted daily with choices that once made, define our characters. As Americans, we choose freedom and the right to the pursuit of happiness. As Soldiers, we have chosen to shoulder the burden of defending these unalienable rights no matter the cost. In doing so our character is defined, we are protectors at the core who embody selfless service. This Global War on Terrorism seems overwhelming for some, but for our soldiers it’s another day doing our duty. From day to day none of us know if we may ultimately be called to sacrifice our lives so that others may live in freedom. Yet our soldiers stand tall and hold fast to their duty. - CPT Scott Bailey

We miss you Scott and can't wait until you are safely home. Thank you to all the Veteran's I know and those that I don't. I admire your honor and your courage. Thank you to your families. Their strength gives you strength.

Until they all come home.

No comments: