www.simplicitybychristy.com

Monday, November 3, 2008

bedtime conversation

Last night as we were tucking Isabella in, Jason noticed that her chapstick was not in its normal place. He asked Bella where it had gone and she said, "I threw it in the trash because it didn't work anymore."

We had a quick lesson on why we do not throw things away just because they no longer work. Things cost money and we try to fix them as best we can before we throw them away. I told Bella that this was her last free chapstick and if she threw anymore away, she would have to get a job or pay for the next one herself. I suggested she head down the street to Miss Susan's and get a job picking up rocks.

Bella got concerned at this point and asked, "Daddy why can't you just give me money because you have some? Then I don't have to work."

Jason replied, "Because sweetie we are not democrats. And in this house you work for your money it just isn't given to you."

Bella said, "I don't want to work, I just want to be a dentist's crack." Whoa, totally didn't see that one coming.

I find it ironic this conversation happened on the night before a huge election, an election that has clearly divided our country. Voting is a personal choice. You may be on a different side of the fence than I am and that's okay. People don't have to see eye to eye on everything. I just hope people have clearly thought out the consequences of their decision tomorrow. I personally don't see a tax plan that a three year old can understand as the right direction for America.

No comments: