www.simplicitybychristy.com

Monday, December 7, 2009

and so it begins

I have always had curly hair. Thick, curly hair. Some days I love it. Some days I hate it. My hair is as high maintenance as it comes and even on a the best day it's a total PITA. I have tried every product on the market, have owned countless flat-irons over the years, ordered a diffuser from the UK and even invested in a blow dryer called the Rocket. I've done enough product trials and research for curly hair that I could probably right my own "how to" on the subject. Still I wouldn't really wish the curly hair curse on anyone. With each child, my available hair time has decreased tremendously. The southern climate isn't exactly the best for flat-ironed hair. I also have a daughter with curls and I want her to be okay with curly self. The flat-iron usually only appears now for special occasions.

When Bella's curls started around the age of 6 months, I had mixed feelings about them too. I think they are beautiful just like everyone else. I knew how to properly care for and style them quickly and frizz free. We have used adult product since she was 2 years old. She has always gone to my stylist for haircuts and she knows we don't use a hairbrush. Every once in a while I catch her looking at Amelia's straight as an arrow hair and hear her say "I really wish I had straight hair too." I have always tried to teach the girls it is okay to be different. It's okay that we look different on the outside, on the inside we're all the same. Yesterday the girls were getting ready for the Nutcracker** with their Daddy. Bella saw her fancy dress and her fancy shoes. She smiled and said "this is a special occasion. Will you please straighten my hair?" I knew this day would someday come. I just never thought it would be as early as five and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Amelia was almost as excited as Bella when she saw the straight hair.


**note**I wrote the ballet on the calendar wrong and the show is next weekend. We'll see if the straight hair makes another appearance then.

No comments: